Dreams have been lauded for centuries to holding the key to your future. If you interpret the dreams just right, you can find your fortune. You can find yourself. What if your dreams play out like a record stuck on repeat, showing the same images each night? Would you lose yourself?
Lost Inside a Paperbag
the right couldn’t keep up
with the left.
Hands clenched at his side,
concealing his long sharpened nails.
Slipped down to the corner store,
Knew what he’d find inside.
He just needed a nip,
He never finished what he started,
Lost the race before
it was done.
Burying his dreams
in the bottom of the bottle.
Forty ounces of freedom.
He bought two.
Just to be on the safe side.
gets you there quicker.
Fished changed from his pocket.
Quarters, nickles and dimes
roll on the counter.
The left sleeve of his fatigue
Pinned to the shoulder.
A reminder of why he
avoided his dreams.
The past screamed during the nighttime,
It held the dreamer with its
Giving no quarter.
A car backfired in the distance,
he fought the instinct to
find cover, and kept shuffling home.
This is an entry for the Creative Buzz Hop. This week’s Buzz word is dreams. Feel free to link up with a post about dreams, interpreting it any way, whether it’s via poetry, an essay, photographs, etc.
To participate in this hop, you simply have to do the following:
1) Follow your hosts, Michelle at Muses from the Deep and me, Tamara from PenPaperPad.
2) Tag others to participate (do so in any way you feel comfortable)
3) Grab the Creative Buzz Hop Badge from the sidebar and put it on your site.
4) Run with the prompt in any way you feel comfortable. It can be a hilarious take, a serious reflection, a poem, story, photography. Let your creative side go!
5) Link up with us via the link at the BOTTOM of this post or at http://www.gettingliteral.com
Please check out the other pieces linked up about superheroes. Aloha y’all!